ClickUp is all about taking immediate action. You'll find this illustrated in the view of every task you create.
Use ClickUp AI in task descriptions and comments
To learn how to purchase AI or enable a free trial, take a look at our FAQ.
Task view organization
When viewing a task, information is separated into two columns, left and right. The left side displays task details. Basically, what needs to be done and how to do it. The right side is all about communication and alerting assignees and watchers of new activity. Check out the features offered on each side below:
The left side
Task details and statuses (Top)
- Move Task: Floating above the task window sits a navigation bar reminding you which Space, Folder, and List the task is located in. Select the symbol to the right of the bar to move the task to another Space, Folder, or List!
- Change Task Order in List view: In the navigation bar, the number to the right of the task's location is the task's position in the List view. Click in the gray outlined rectangle and edit this number to rearrange the order in which this task will appear.
- Change Task Status: Click the arrow to the right of the status name to move the task to its next status. Otherwise, click on the status name and in the dropdown box, click on a status name to move the task to that status. Lastly, mark a status 'Done' by clicking the checkbox.
- Add or remove assignees: Click anywhere on the face icon shown below to assign or reassign members in your Space to a task. Clicking the reassign button beside a user's name will quickly remove any current assignee(s) and replace them with the new user you selected.
- Add Tags: Give your tasks a renewed sense of purpose and organization, and enable completely unrestricted grouping.
- Add Dependencies: Click the ellipsis ... to add Dependencies. These let your team know if this task is waiting on or blocking another task.
- Priorities: Classify the prioritization of the given task, using the flagpole icon.
- Task Description: What’s a task without any detail? Use the description field to establish what needs to be done before closing the task. ClickUp (exclusively) offers ultra-rich text editing that allows for clear, aesthetically pleasing information.
Items associated with the task (Bottom)
- To Do: Subtasks, assigned comments, and checklists that require action will appear here under the "To Do" section. Here you can view, quickly edit, or complete any action items associated with the task. Checklists can be created from scratch, or from an existing template.
- Attachments: This is where all files associated with the task live. With each file, you have the ability to rename, view fullscreen, download, delete, or sort.
Cloud Storage: You can create or attach Dropbox and Google Drive files directly in your task! From the upper-right corner of the Attachments section, click the plus icon.
This feature is available only for paid users
- Custom Fields: Make ClickUp completely customized! Custom fields let you use ClickUp for virtually anything you can imagine.
- The Ellipsis: Convert your task to a subtask, create dependencies, print the task, and more.
Share tasks with anyone
Check out these detailed instructions about using privacy, sharing, public sharing, and permissions on tasks!
Tip: Use Command Center to quickly share a task! Simply type
CMD +K on Mac or
Ctrl + K on Windows to open Command Center and choose
The right side
Activity details (Top)
- Create New Task: Floating above the right side of the task modal is a + button allowing you to create a new task without leaving Task view!
- Activity feed: See a timestamped record of when a task was created, and when any edits are made.
- Time Tracking: Track time worked in ClickUp tasks
- Time Estimated: Estimate how long you think it will take to complete the task
- Due Date: If enabled, you can see and make changes to the due dates
- Watchers: Watchers are users that are not assigned a task, but will be notified of any and all changes. Adjust the watchers by clicking the "Eye" at the top right.
- Recurrences: Set a task to recur at a certain date or when a certain action is committed
- Minimizing a task: will dock the task into your tray, allowing you to come back at any point. Don't worry about losing information - even if you close the task, your partially written comments will be saved as drafts!
- Search & Filter: Looking for a particular comment or status change in a task? Search for it in the task's activity and locate exactly what you're looking for! Hover below the task creation date to access.
Attach any file in a comment to give your team some context and utilize rich text to emphasize key information. You can drag and drop the file into the comment section or use the Google Drive or Dropbox icons.
- Thread your comments: Organize your comments by nesting replies for a more focused discussion
- Assign a comment: Inevitably, things get lost in comments. With assigned comments, you can instantly create subtasks for yourself or others.
- Mention another Team member in your Space by clicking on the '@' symbol to ensure this person receives a notification about your comment.
- Mention another related task by clicking on the '#' to create an easy link between the current task and the other task.
- Take advantage of markdown and formatting options to add rich clarity to comments.
- Arrows: On the right and left side of the task window, you’ll see two small <> symbols. Click these to scroll through the different tasks in the List you’re viewing!