Task view 3.0 is currently in beta. Join the 3.0 waitlist.
Organize the actionable parts of your projects within tasks. Tasks come with a set of default sections and customizable options.
Enable or disable Task view 3.0
You can enable or disable Task view 3.0 at any time from your settings:
- Click your account avatar.
- In ClickUp 2.0, this is located in the lower-left corner.
- In ClickUp 3.0, this is located in the upper-right corner.
- From your account avatar menu, open the My Settings page.
- In ClickUp 2.0, you'll select My Settings.
- In ClickUp 3.0, you'll select Settings, then My Settings.
- Scroll down to the Preferences section and enable or disable Task View 3.0 [BETA].
- This setting updates automatically.
Using Task view 3.0 is a personal setting. Switching between Task view 3.0 and Task view 2.0 will not impact anyone else in your Workspace.
What's new in Task view 3.0?
Task view 3.0 has introduced several new features and UI updates!
Use ClickUp AI in tasks
ClickUp AI can generate subtasks from just a task name!
To learn how to purchase AI or enable a free trial, take a look at our FAQ.
New task layout options
Task view 3.0 supports full screen and sidebar layouts for tasks and subtasks.
Default, full screen, and sidebar layouts
In the default layout, the Task Description section displays to the left of the Activity section.
Some of the following controls only display when there are items in the locations.
Navigate between layouts
Use the Switch layout button to navigate between the three layouts.
From the upper-right corner of an open default-layout task, click the Switch layout button and select either Full screen, Default, or Sidebar.
- Default layout: The task description is three-quarters of the screen. You can drag the divider to expand either the task description or the Activity section.
- Full screen layout: The task fills your browser. You can drag the divider to expand either the task description or the Activity section.
- Sidebar layout: The task moves to the right side of the screen. The sidebar will display while you navigate to other locations in your Workspace, like Docs or Home.
- In Sidebar layout, you can add or edit all of the task details.
- When you open another existing task while in Sidebar layout, the current task closes and the other task opens in Sidebar layout.
See task description in full screen
The following options are not available in the Sidebar layout.
You can open the task description in full screen layout.
From an open task, hover at the bottom-right of the task description field and click the Full screen icon.
To return to the entire task, to the right of the task title click Exit full screen. Or in the upper-left corner, click Back to task.
Easily navigate between the task and its subtasks!
From an open task or subtask, in the upper-left corner click the Open Subtask sidebar button.
The Open Subtask sidebar button only displays when the task has subtasks.
- The Subtask sidebar opens to display the parent task and all of its subtasks.
- You can click an individual subtask to open it.
- You can click the parent task to return it.
See all subtasks in full screen
You can focus on the progress of your subtasks without the distraction of the main task.
Hover over the Subtasks section beneath your task description and click the Full screen icon to the right.
To return to the task, to the upper-right of the subtasks click the Exit full screen button. Or in the upper-left corner, click Back to task.
See Custom Fields, checklists, and attachments in full screen
To display all available items in full screen, hover over the location and click the Full screen button to the right.
To return to the task, click Back to task in the upper-left corner.
In Task view 3.0, all items related to the task are grouped together and easy to find! Take a look at our Relationships overview article to learn more.
Create Relationship: Click the plus icon to add the following relationships to a task:
- Connect a URL: Add a URL from ClickUp or another location.
- Link Task or Doc: Link a related task or Doc.
- Waiting on: Add a dependent task that needs to be completed before starting this task.
- Blocking: Add a dependent task that can't be started until this task is complete.
- Custom: Create a Custom Relationship.
You can also create a relationship using /Slash Commands:
- From an open task, type
Enteron a PC or
Returnon a Mac.
- Search or browse for the task.
Each relationship has a unique icon that displays after the relationship is added. Click the icon to show the relationship item.
Task watchers updates
In Task view 3.0, it's easy to see and manage task watchers!
Watchers are notified of all activity updates for that task. To add a watcher:
- From the upper-right corner of the Activity section, click the bell icon. You can also add watchers using Quick Create tasks and Bulk Action Toolbar.
- Click an avatar to select yourself, another person, or a Team.
- A circle displays around the task watcher's icon.
- The task watcher will be sent task updates in their notifications.
When you remove a watcher, they'll receive fewer notifications.
To remove a watcher:
- From the upper-right corner of the Activity section, click the bell icon. You can also remove watchers using Quick Create tasks and Bulk Action Toolbar.
- Click an avatar to unselect yourself, another person, or a Team.
- They'll be sent task updates in their notifications only when someone @mentions or assigns them an item within the task.
Task view organization
By default, task information is separated into two columns. The left side is for breaking down and organizing project details. The right side is all about communication.
The following features are found at the top of the task, starting in the upper-left corner:
- Breadcrumbs: Displays the task's Space, Folder, and List.
- Move Task: To move the task to another location, hover to the right of the breadcrumbs, click Move Task, and choose another Space, Folder, or List.
- Add to another List: Click the plus icon to move the task to an additional List.
- When the task is in more than one List a number displays. Click the number to open the Other Lists modal to see the other Lists or add to an additional List.
Subtask sidebar menu: Click Open Subtask sidebar to easily navigate between the task and its subtasks.
The Open Subtask sidebar only displays when the task has subtasks.
- Task ID: Click to copy.
- Add cover: Click the image icon to add or upload a cover image.
Change task status: You can change the task status in three ways:
- Click the arrow to the right of the status name to move the task to its next status.
- Click the status name, and from the Search Statues modal, choose a status name.
- Quickly move the task to Done Status by clicking the Mark Complete checkbox.
- Add or remove assignees: Click into the Assigned to field to open the People modal. Choose a team member. Remove an assignee by clicking the x icon on their avatar.
- Dates: If you use start and due dates, they'll display here.
Description: Enter details about the task or click
/for a list of /Slash Commands.
The following ClickApps will display if they are enabled in the task's Space:
- Multiple Assignees: You can add more than one assignee.
- Priority and Tag: A flag and tag icon will display here. Click the icon to edit.
- Time Tracking: View time tracked by assignees. Click the green arrow to start the timer and click the red circle to stop the timer.
The following items associated with the task are found under the task description. To display the following items in full screen, hover over the section and click the Full screen icon to the right.
- Custom Fields: If the Custom Fields ClickApp is enabled in your Space, you can add and edit them here.
- Subtasks: Click the subtask to open. Edit the assignee. If in use, edit the due date and Priority. Add another column. Add a new subtask.
- Checklists: Edit or add a new checklist item, or click to close completed items.
- Attachments: Click the plus icon to upload a file or create a new Doc.
This section is all about task collaboration and communication.
Task Activity: Click the Task Activity speech-bubble icon to see the task details, description, Custom Fields, subtasks, checklists, and attachments. Actions are time-stamped.
- Click again to close the Activity section and return to the task.
- Create Relationship: Click the plus icon to add related items to a task.
- Integrations: If your Workspace uses certain integrations, like GitHub, the app icon will display under any Relationships.
- Links: Click to see any links attached to the task.
- Share: Click the Share button in the upper-right corner to open the Share this task modal. Share the task by invitation, public or private link, or share with members of your Workspace.
- Ellipsis ... menu: This menu in the upper-right contains task settings, like duplicating the task, merging the task with another task, and opening the Template Center.
- Favorite: Click the star icon in the upper-right to favorite this task.
- Minimize task: Click the minimize icon in the upper-right to send the task to your Tray.
- Switch layout: Click the Switch layout button in the upper-right to choose between the Default, Full screen, and Sidebar layouts.
- Watchers: Click the bell icon in the upper-right of the Activity section to see and edit team members who are task stakeholders but not assignees. Watchers are notified of all activity updates for the task.
- Search and Filter: Looking for a particular comment or status change in a task? Search for it in the task's Activity section. You can also filter activity by selecting fields like assignee, comments, or due date.
Comments: In the Add comment field at the bottom of the Activity section, enter details about the task or click
/for a list of /Slash Commands. Comments are time-stamped.
The following ClickApps will display if they are enabled in the task's Space:
- Threaded Comments: You can respond to just the comments thread.
- Email: Click the email icon to send an email.