Whether you're joining an established Workspace or a new one, set yourself up for success! ClickUp is flexible and customizable, every team uses it a little differently.
This article will walk you through customizing your experience of ClickUp as part of an organization's Workspace.
If you're creating a new Workspace, get started by learning about our core ClickUp features.
Some of the following features have plan-based limits or are optional ClickApps and must be enabled by an owner or admin.
Join a Workspace
Your organization will send you an invite to join their ClickUp Workspace. If you don't have a ClickUp account, you'll be prompted to sign up.
Your organization may require two-factor authentication or use single sign-on (SSO).
If you've joined your organization's Workspace, you can always create your own separate Workspace using the same account, or create a separate ClickUp account with a different email address.
What's my user role?
For Workspaces you've joined, the Workspace owner or an admin will assign you one of the following user roles:
- Members: People in your organization who actively work in ClickUp.
- Admins: People who are responsible for managing the Workspace including billing, permissions, and integrations. You can think of an admin as a member with some extra permissions to manage the Workspace.
There are two other user roles:
- Owners: The person who created your Workspace, or had ownership transferred to them. Each Workspace can only have one owner. You can think of an owner as a member with extra permissions to manage the Workspace.
Guests: People you've invited to your Workspace by sharing specific items with them. There are two guest types:
- External guests: People from outside your organization.
- Internal guests: Internal guests are charged as members. Guests only have access to the items shared with them. This might be the right role for some people inside your organization.
Is your Workspace on the Business Plus or Enterprise Plan? You may have a custom role. Custom roles are based on the above roles, but they can be modified with Custom Permissions.
What can I do?
No matter which user role you have, you'll share the same core features and ClickUp experience as everyone in your organization.
Even guests use the Sidebar to navigate the items that have been shared with them and do their work in tasks and Docs.
Your permissions likely vary throughout your organization's Workspace. A member can have permission to do a lot within their team's Space, Folder, or Lists and very limited permissions in the rest of their Workspace.
How is ClickUp organized?
There are six organizational levels. We call this the Hierarchy!
- Workspace: Contains your entire organization and all of your work.
Spaces: Used to arrange your different workflows or types of work. Each Space has its own settings and can be shared with everyone in your Workspace or made private.
Do you have permission to create and set up Spaces? Read Spaces overview for more info!
Folders: Folders are optional, but are helpful for more complex workflows. Folders are added to a Space, and then Lists are added inside Folders to keep projects organized. When a new Folder is created, it automatically gets a List.
Do you have permission to create and set up Folders? Read Folders overview for more info!
Lists: Contain tasks of a similar type or that have a similar outcome or goal.
Do you have permission to create and set up Lists? Read What are Lists for more info!
Tasks: This is where you'll spend most of your time, it's where your work lives!
Learn how to create and navigate tasks!
Subtasks: Your team may use subtasks, more granular action items that are added to a task.
Subtasks are very similar to tasks.
Does your team use subtasks? Learn how to create a subtask!
- Checklists: Simpler than a subtask, when you just need a to-do list.
How do I navigate my Workspace?
You navigate through the Hierarchy using the Sidebar on the left-hand side of ClickUp.
Learn more about all the Sidebar features.
You can reorder and hide Spaces to keep your most active Spaces at the top of your Sidebar.
Where do I change my settings?
Depending on your user role, you'll have access to one or two Workspace settings menus. We call these avatar menus.
Personal avatar: In the lower-left corner of their homepage, members have settings that apply just to their personal Workspace.
Workspace avatar: In the lower-left corner of their homepage, admins and owners also have settings that apply to the entire Workspace.
Ready to start working?
Now that you're familiar with the ClickUp Hierarchy and the Sidebar, it's time to start working and helping your team!
Create your first task, add your first comment, and write your first Doc!
Personal productivity features
Save time by keeping everything in ClickUp.
- Reminders: Remember everything!
- Notepad: Jot down quick notes.
- Notifications: Stay on top of your notifications by checking them regularly and clearing them out.
- Calendar view: Never miss a meeting again! Add a Calendar view and sync your Google Calendar to it.
Prioritize important work
Stay on top of the most important work you need to do.
- Tray: Minimize tasks and Docs so you can keep them in focus.
- Home: View your most important tasks, events, and Reminders so you always know where your focus should be.
- Favorites: Bookmark the Workspace locations you use the most.
- Private views: Create any type of view that's just for you. You can group, sort, and filter tasks to display what you need to work on.
Communicate with your team
Keep in touch with the people in your Workspace.
- Comments: Communicate with your team without leaving a task or Doc! Use comments to ask questions, get feedback, and format content with rich text, embeds, and attachments.
- @mention: Tag your teammates in tasks, Docs, and Chat views anywhere in your Workspace. You can also mention tasks, Docs, and locations!
- Chat view: Add a Chat view to a location to talk about work outside of specific tasks and Docs. Or get social and chat about your weekend plans!
- Clip: Sometimes a short video is all you need to understand a process. Record videos of your ClickUp Workspace right from your browser.
- Voice Clips: Record and send a quick message instead of typing out a long comment.
- Email in ClickUp: Send emails from tasks in ClickUp to communicate with other teams in your organization who haven't started using ClickUp yet. You can also send emails to people outside your organization, including your customers and vendors.
Collaborate with your team
Everything in ClickUp happens in real time. Work on tasks together or asynchronously using these features.
- Docs: Collaborate with your team to create amazing content. Or use comments to get asynchronous feedback on a policy or project charter.
- Whiteboards: Use Whiteboards to collaborate and ideate. Add internal and external content, including tasks.
- Proofing: Do you work with videos, images, or PDFs? Centralize feedback and expedite approval processes by assigning comments directly on task attachments!
- Integrations: Learn how to use other apps in ClickUp.
Get even more productive
There's a lot to learn in ClickUp. Here are several easy-to-use features that help you work more efficiently.
- Quick Action menu: Create tasks, Reminders, Docs, and more from anywhere in your Workspace.
Command Center: Type
Cmd + K(Mac) or
Ctrl + K(Windows) from anywhere within ClickUp to find anything in your Workspace.
- /Slash Commands:Quickly add rich text, attach images, move tasks, change due, and more.
Hotkeys and keyboard shortcuts:From your Workspace, press
Shift + ?
Try our ClickUp apps
Along with working in a web browser, you can use ClickUp on your computer or mobile device.
- ClickUp Desktop App: Have too many tabs opened already? Try the ClickUp desktop app.
- ClickUp Mobile App: Take your work with you on the go with the ClickUp mobile app for Apple and Android.
Be sure to explore these additional resources.
ClickUp University is the place to level up your skills to increase productivity and save time! The courses are available to all ClickUp users and include videos, hands-on exercises, and quizzes.
- Learn how to maximize productivity with our Manage Your Projects course.
- Take our Introduction to Views course to customize Workspace and visualize your work.
- Watch a quick ClickTip to help configure your Notification settings.
- Really want to dive in and become a productivity pro? Look into our Certificate exams!