Owners and admins, take the time to optimally configure your Workspace and set your team up for success!
Make sure you have all the info. Read Core ClickUp features and Customizable ClickUp features first to get an idea of available features before setting up your Workspace.
Some of the following features have plan-based limits.
Choose a plan
When you sign up for an account through our website, you'll create a Workspace on the Free Forever Plan. You can upgrade to the Unlimited, Business, and Business Plus Plans through your Workspace settings. To upgrade to Enterprise, you're prompted to contact our Sales team from your Workspace settings.
Not sure which plan you need? Take a look at the plan comparison page on our website.
Create your Workspace
When you sign up for a Free Forever account through our website, you'll create a password and sign in. After email verification, follow the series of onboarding modals that guide you through creating your Workspace.
Edit your Workspace
After completing the onboarding modals, you can edit your Workspace at any time:
- Click your Workspace avatar in the lower-left corner.
- Select Settings.
- From the left-side menu, select the setting.
Set up your Workspace
Now it's time to set up your Workspace for success!
Arrange your Workspace Hierarchy
ClickUp is built to scale and grow with your organization. The Hierarchy is key to this flexibility. Before you dive in, think about how to arrange your Hierarchy.
The following questions can help!
Does your organization mainly work inter-departmentally on separate projects or different clients?
You probably want to set up a Space for each department.
Do different departments work cross-functionally on the same recurring projects, or with the same clients?
Consider setting up Spaces by recurring project or by client.
What info and projects need to be visible to your whole team?
Make sure everyone has at least view-only permissions to these locations.
Who needs a high-level or specialized view of your team's work?
Create appropriate views for executives, upper management, project managers, and team leads.
Need some examples?
If you need some examples of how to set up your Hierarchy by industry or feature, browse the following options:
- Take a look at setup solutions for marketing, PMO, or software teams. See other set-up solutions by industry.
- Learn how to set up your Workspace to make the most of a ClickUp feature. Reporting on Time Tracking data, for example.
Set up options
- Start from scratch: Learn how to set up from scratch to optimize your Workspace for your team's needs!
- Solutions: Visit the Solutions tab on our homepage and explore set-up solutions by team, use, case, and type. If you already have a ClickUp account, you'll be directed to your Workspace homepage. From there you can click the redirect popup link in the lower-left corner.
- Templates: Get started with one of our templates are searchable by level and use case.
- Professional Services: Contact Sales to learn more about the hands-on help offered by our Professional Services team.
Set up security
ClickUp has one of the strictest security policies in our industry to ensure your data never gets into the hands of third parties. You can find articles about our compliance with regulations and policies in our Help Center's Security & Privacy section.
Here are our recommendations for securely setting up your Workspace:
Work with your teammates
ClickUp has several options for Workspace communication and collaboration.
Notifications: Communicate with all of the people in your organization. Notifications are tied to tasks, so your work is connected to your communication rather than email or another app.
We have solutions for you if you want to use email or another app, like Slack!
Comments: Ask and answer questions, get feedback, provide approval, track quick wins, and format content with rich text, embeds, and attachments. You can use comments on tasks, Docs, and attachments for Proofing.
@mention a person: In a task description or comments, type
@ and a person's or Team's initials to return anyone with those initials.
Whiteboards: Whiteboards are the fastest way to collaborate with your team and bridge the gap between brainstorming and getting work done.
Reminders: Use reminders to quickly create smaller action items that don't require a task. You can create them for yourself or delegate them.
Chat: Chat is a view that lets you talk to your team in real time. Chat about items outside of tasks in a specific location in ClickUp. View attachments, notifications, task links, and embeds in one place.
Clip: With the Clip ClickApp, you can record videos right from the Quick Action menu or task comments.
Proofing: Centralize feedback and expedite approval processes by assigning comments directly on task attachments.
Looking for some Workspace communication and collaboration best practices? Read Using ClickUp for team meetings and Communicate with your team using ClickUp.
Be sure to explore these additional resources.
ClickUp University is the place to level up your skills to increase productivity and save time! The courses are available to all ClickUp users and include videos, diagrams, and quizzes.
- Take a look at the Manage Settings and Permissions courses to learn more admin fundamentals.
- Register for our instructor-led Live Training Workshop Administer Your Workspace.
- Watch a quick ClickTip to learn how to add Custom Fields to your Workspace.
- Really want to dive in and become a productivity pro? Look into our Certificate exams!
- Software teams, use ClickUp to manage your sprints!