Consolidate similar Custom Fields in your Workspace to keep your data organized.
You can merge up to three Custom Fields into one at a time.
The option to merge Custom Fields is available on the Business Plus and Enterprise Plans.
What you'll need
- Owners and admins can access the Custom Field Manager.
- Members and guests with the Manage Custom Fields Custom Permission can access Custom Field Manager.
- Custom Field Manager is available on all ClickUp plans.
- The Custom Field Manager is only available on ClickUp 3.0.
- The options to merge and move Custom Fields are available on the Business Plus and Enterprise Plans.
- There is a 5,000 task limit when merging Custom Fields.
Most Custom Field types can be merged.
You cannot merge the following Custom Field types:
Merge Custom Fields
You can select up to three Custom Fields to merge.
Custom Fields must be the same field type to merge. You can Convert Custom Fields before merging.
After merging, the following are updated with the new, combined Custom Field information:
- Filters that used either Custom Field in your Dashboards, cards, and views.
- Sorting that used either Custom Field in your views and cards.
- Grouping that used either Custom Field in your List views.
- Column settings that used either Custom Field in your List views.
- Form views that used either Custom Field.
From Custom Field Manager:
- Select the fields.
- Click Merge on the bulk action toolbar.
- Use Merge into to pick the field you want to merge other fields into.
- Once merged, only the field selected in Merge into will be available on your tasks.
- Depending on the type of field selected, you will have the option to map existing values to the values available in the new field.
- You can choose to map one or more existing values to a new value.
- Select Don't use this option to clear an existing value from tasks.
- Click Merge Fields.
- Review the warning modal to understand the impact of merging the Custom Fields.
- Click Merge Fields.
An example from a design team
The following is a real-world example of merging Custom Fields.
You can merge the Effort and Effort Design fields into the Design Effort field.
- The Effort field is a dropdown with two options: Weeks and Months.
- The Effort Design field is a dropdown with two options: P1 and P2.
- Tasks with the Weeks value set in the Effort field will have the Weeks+ value.
- Tasks with the Months value set in the Effort field will have the Months+ value.
- Tasks with a value set in the Effort Design field will now have no value set.