Automate your workflows to save time and increase productivity! You can set up Automations with custom Actions and Triggers to automate a variety of work, like setting a new due date when there's a status change.
What you'll need
- The Workspace admin or owner must enable the Automation ClickApp.
- Guests can't set up Automations.
- The number of total active Automations that you can have in your Workspace depends on your plan:
- Free Forever: 50 total active Automations.
- Unlimited: 500 total active Automations.
- Business and above: Unlimited total active Automations.
- The number of Actions that can be completed per month depends on your plan:
- Free Forever: 100 Actions/month.
- Unlimited: 1,000 Actions/month.
- Business: 10,000 Actions/Month.
- Business Plus: 25,000 Actions/month.
- Enterprise: 250,000 Actions/month.
- Action limits reset on the first of every month (PST).
- Usage alert emails are sent to owners and admins of Workspaces when an Automations usage is at 90% and when usage is over 100%.
- Business Plus and Enterprise Plans can purchase more Automation Actions.
- Webhook actions and Automation integrations are available for Business Plans and above.
Watch the following ClickTip video for an overview of Automations in ClickUp 2.0.
Enable the Automation ClickApp
By default, the Automation ClickApp is enabled for new Workspaces. Only Workspace owners and admins can manage ClickApps.
If the Automation ClickApp isn't enabled or if you don't have access to the settings, the button in the upper-right corner is labeled Customize instead of Automate.
To enable Automations in your Workspace:
Access ClickApps from your settings:
Browse or search for Automation.
Click the toggle to enable Automation.
Automations are location-based and affect all tasks beneath them in the Hierarchy. For example, if you create an Automation at the List level, it will only affect tasks within that specific List. If you create an Automation at the Folder level, however, it will affect all tasks in all Lists within the Folder.
Automations aren't processed in any specific order, but Actions within each Automation are performed in order.
Triggers, Conditions, and Actions
Every Automation consists of a Trigger and an Action. Workspaces on the Business Plan and above have the option to use Conditions and multiple Actions in their Automations.
Triggers are events that start an Automation. You can set Triggers to apply to tasks, subtasks, or both.
Create an Automation
To create an Automation:
- Open the Space, Folder, or List where you want to apply the Automation.
- In the upper-right corner, click the Automation icon.
Select an Automation type.
The following types of Automation are available:
Templates: Use Automation templates to browse pre-set Triggers and Actions. They can be used as-is or you can customize them.
Custom: Use a Custom Automation if you have a specific result in mind and you're comfortable using Automations. With Custom Automations, you can also add Conditions and set more than one Action.
Integrations: Use an integration Automation if the Automation relates to other apps. The following Automation integrations are supported:
Assignee and watcher Automations: Use an assignee or watcher Automation to set a specific assignee or watcher for all new tasks in a List, Folder, or Space:
- In the Sidebar, hover over a List, Folder, or Space.
- Click the ellipsis ... icon.
- Click the person icon to choose an assignee or watcher to set for all new tasks in that location.