Checklists are an easy way to create and organize groups of to-do items within a task. You can even assign checklist items to another team member.
What you'll need
Create a checklist
To create a checklist in task view:
- Open the task where you'd like to create the checklist.
- Scroll down and select the Action items tab.
- Click the + to begin creating the checklist.
- In Task view 2.0, click + Add Checklist.
- Add each checklist item.
- If you paste a list of items, you're given the option to create multiple checklist items from it.
You can drag and drop items to reorder or move them from one checklist to another.
Get notified when a checklist item is created or resolved
To be notified when a checklist item is created or resolved, ensure you have enabled either the Checklist items created or Checklist items resolved notification in your settings and are watching the task.
Edit a checklist
After you create a checklist, you can use the ellipsis ... next to the checklist name to make changes.
- New Item: Add a new item to the checklist.
- Rename: Give the checklist a new name.
- Assign all to: Assign all checklist items to a single Workspace member.
- Unassign all: Remove the assignee from all checklist items.
- Check All: Check all of the items as complete.
- Uncheck All: Uncheck all of the items.
- Save as template: Save the checklist as a template.
- Delete Checklist: Delete the checklist and all its items.
Assign checklist items
To assign a checklist item, click the assign icon to the right of the item and select someone. Each checklist item can only be assigned to one person at a time.
Nest checklist items
Items in your checklists can also be nested. A checklist item can contain up to 5 levels of indented sub-items.
To nest a checklist item you can either:
- Use the tab key when adding a new item or editing the name of an existing one.
- Or, click and drag the item to the right using the drag handle.
Find checklists and assigned checklist items
In List view, you can identify which tasks have checklists and how many checklist items have been completed.
Look for the checkbox icon beside task names. The number next to the icon shows you the status of the checklist and its items:
You can also show tasks that have checklist items assigned to you when using Me mode.
Checklists in the mobile app
Update checklists on the go with our mobile app. Any new or edits made to task checklists in the mobile app will appear in ClickUp on your computer.