In Board view, tasks are organized into columns based on one shared field like due date or assignee. You can use swimlanes to organize tasks into rows based on a second field.
For example, project managers can organize by status and priority to create a high-level overview of their team's most important tasks.
Swimlanes for Kanban boards can be organized by status columns and team rows. For engineering tasks, a roadmap can be created using timeline columns and squad rows.
What you'll need
This feature is available on every plan.
Everyone, including guests, can add swimlanes to a Board view.
Guests must have Can edit or Full permissions to add views.
Add a swimlane
In Board view, you'll see a dropdown menu with two sections:
- Group by: Arrange columns by one field, like status or assignee.
- Swimlanes: Arrange rows by any field that's not set for columns.
- Open a Board view.
- From the right side of the Views Bar, open the Group by menu.
- Select a group by option.
- From the bottom of the menu, enable swimlanes.
- Select a swimlanes option.
You can try different combinations of fields to see your data in a new way.
Rearrange columns and rows
Once you select both fields, you can rearrange your columns and rows to get a different perspective. The selected field will have a checkmark next to it. The field selected in one menu will be grayed out in the other menu.
From either menu, click the grayed-out option.
The columns and rows will swap.
Create new tasks
You can quickly create a new task from a swimlane. The task ends up where you need it with fewer clicks!
To create a task from your swimlane:
- Hover over an existing task to display the + New Task button.
- Click + New Task.
- Create the task.