Use the toolbar and settings menu to create engaging and consistent content for any audience.
Format text with elements that stand out like banners, headings, highlights, and code blocks. Insert buttons and dividers to add style or use a sticky table of contents to organize.
What you'll need
Apply formatting options to specific text in a Doc using the toolbar.
Select text in a Doc.
Use the toolbar to adjust your text formatting:
- Turn into: Convert the selected text into headings, banners, a code block, or a quote block.
- Rich text: Bold, italics, underline, strikethrough, or inline code formatting.
- Text colors and Text highlights: Select from a range of vibrant text colors.
- Badges: Insert a colorful badge to emphasize or call attention to a line or block of content. You can also add some rich text formatting to the text in the badge like you can in a banner.
- Alignment: Indent and set text to left, center, or right justified.
Bulleted List: Format text into a bulleted list.
All Lists: Click the caret icon next to the Bulleted List icon to format text into a Numbered List or Toggled List.
Numbered Lists can continue or restart numbering around other formatting, such as a banner or image.
- All Lists: Click the caret icon next to the Bulleted List icon to format text into a Numbered List or Toggled List.
- Check List: Format text into a check list.
- Insert a link: Insert a hyperlink.
- Create subpage: Create a series of subtopics that are part of the main Doc.
- Create comment: Add comments about the Doc to the right sidebar of the Doc. Text that has comments is highlighted.
- Create task: Create a new task using the highlighted text as the task name.
- AI: ClickUp AI is an add-on that can be purchased and used throughout ClickUp.
- Misc Setting: Open more formatting settings.
From the Docs toolbar, access more formatting settings by clicking the ellipsis ... icon.
You can adjust your toolbar position in the following ways:
Default: The toolbar only displays above the selected text.
Pinned: The toolbar always displays at the top of a Doc.
You can only pin the toolbar when in fullscreen mode.
Floating: The toolbar can be dragged and dropped anywhere on the page and will stay in that location while you scroll.
Additional options include:
Undo: Undo your last action.
Redo: Redo your last action.
Insert: Add a task, comment, image, divider, toggle list, table, list of tasks, button, table of contents, or embed a YouTube video.
Clear Format: Clears any previous formatting from the selected area.
Copy Markdown: Converts markdown into rich text.
Content blocks allow you to organize and style your content as a block, rather than line by line. Once you create a content block, you have options that apply to the whole block.
Content blocks are automatically added in the following way:
- Text: Paragraphs are separate blocks.
- Items: Items like tables and images are separate blocks.
To add a content block:
- From an open Doc, hover to the left of a line of text and click the plus icon.
- From the block menu, select an option.
To move a content block:
- Hover over a content block to display the drag handle.
- Click the handle and drag. A guideline displays to help you position the block.
To open the content block options menu:
- Click the drag handle to display the block option menu.
- Select an option.
The options available will vary depending on the type of content. For text, the options are:
- Turn into: Apply formatting such as headings, lists, code blocks, quotes, or banners to the whole block.
- Duplicate: Create another identical content block.
- Copy Block Link: Copy the URL to the content block to your clipboard.
- Delete: Delete the whole block.
You can use the following keyboard shortcuts to quickly make changes in Docs.
|Create a comment from your selected text.||Cmd + Shift + M||Ctrl + Shift + M|
|Create a task from your selected text.||Cmd + Option + T||Ctrl + Shift + T|
|Highlight a text block.||Cmd + Shift + H||Ctrl + Shift + H|
|Duplicate a text block.||Cmd + D||Ctrl + D|
|Align text to the left||Cmd + Shift + L||Ctrl + Shift + L|
|Align text to the right||Cmd + Shift + R||Ctrl + Shift + R|
|Align text to the center||Cmd + Shift + M||Ctrl + Shift + M|
|Use inline code||Cmd + Shift + C||Ctrl + Shift + C|
|Create a bulleted list||Cmd + Shift + 9||Ctrl + Shift + 9|
|Create a checklist||Cmd + Shift + 8||Ctrl + Shift + 8|
|Create a numbered list||Cmd + Shift + 7||Ctrl + Shift + 7|
|Create a heading||Cmd + Shift + 1-4||Ctrl + Shift + 1-4|