You can manage your team's capacity with the Work in Progress (WIP) Limits ClickApp. Automatically show when they're under, near, at, or over capacity on each Board view in your Workspace.
Work in Progress limits aren't hard limits. You can always create, move, or update tasks even if it makes a particular column go over the limit.
What you'll need
- Work in Progress Limits are available on the Business Plan and above.
- Guests can use WIP limits.
You can use the following fields to set a Work in Progress limit:
Task Count (# of tasks)
Money & Number Custom Fields
WIP Limits appearance
The WIP limit counter will change appearance based on the limit you set.
- Under capacity displays a green WIP limit counter.
- Nearing or at capacity displays a yellow WIP limit counter with an exclamation mark.
- Over capacity displays a red WIP limit counter with an exclamation mark.
- A default grey WIP limit counter is displayed when there's no limit set.
WIP Limits and grouping
Work in Progress Limits can be used however you choose to group your tasks in Board view.
Alex wants to see if their team is over capacity for any in-progress work. They create a Board view grouped by status and set a limit for the number of tasks in the In Progress status column.
Sam wants to see if their team has urgent or high-priority tasks with large time estimates on top of their workload. They create a Board view grouped by Priority and limit the amount of time estimated.
Enable the Work in Progress Limits ClickApp
You need to be a Workspace owner or admin to enable Work in Progress Limits at the Workspace level or for individual Spaces.
To enable Work in Progress Limits:
In the lower-left corner, click your Workspace avatar.
- Click ClickApps.
Browse or search for the Work in Progress Limits ClickApp.
Click the Work in Progress Limits ClickApp to enable it in your Workspace.
- Deselect any Spaces that don't need WIP Limits on Board views.
Set up Work in Progress Limits
To set Work in Progress Limits on a Board view:
In the column header, click the Work in Progress counter.
Pick the field you want to set a limit for.
Set a limit.
- The counter will display the column's status.