When part of your work depends on other tasks, you can use a Dependency Relationship.
Set tasks to block or wait on each other to create a Dependency.
You can always use Dependency Relationships, whether the Relationships ClickApp is turned on or off.
- Dependency Relationships are available on all plans.
- Everyone, including guests with edit or full permissions, can create task Dependencies.
Dependency Relationships in ClickUp
You can use Dependency Relationships when:
- The Relationships ClickApp is turned on or off.
- Using Task view 2.0 or Task view 3.0.
Types of Dependency Relationship
There are three types of Dependency Relationships. Tasks are considered completed when put into a Done status.
- Waiting on: A task with at least one other task that must be completed first. For example, task 2 is waiting on task 1.
- Blocking: A task preventing another task from being completed. For example, task 1 is blocking task 2.
- Linked Tasks: Tasks that are related but not blocking or waiting on other tasks.
The Linked Tasks option allows you to relate tasks without using the Relationships ClickApp or a Tasks Custom Field.
Create Dependency Relationships
You can create Dependency Relationships from tasks and views.
Adding Relationship columns
Relationship columns (formerly rollup fields) allow you to pull field data from your task in the Dependency Relationship.
You'll receive a notification when a task Dependency is added, unlinked, or when a task becomes unblocked.
You can change the start and due dates of tasks that are waiting on another task if the blocking task's due date is adjusted. To do so, have an owner or admin enable the Reschedule Dependencies ClickApp.
Applying a Space, Folder, or List template with task Dependencies will only include the Dependencies between tasks that live inside that template.
Duplicating a task with Dependencies will replicate the task and its Dependencies. A new waiting on or blocking Dependency will automatically be added to the related task.
When a task is set to recur, its Dependencies will not recur with it. Each Dependency must be re-added to the task.