Create Dependency Relationships between tasks in List, Board, Calendar, and Gantt views.
What you'll need
- Dependency Relationships are available on all plans.
- Everyone, including guests with edit or full permissions, can create task dependencies.
- Task dependencies are not available in the ClickUp mobile app.
See and create dependencies in views
There are three ways to open the Dependency Relationships modal from views:
- Click the Dependency icon.
- Right-click a task and select Dependencies.
- Hover over a task, click the ellipsis ... menu on the right, then select Dependencies.
From the dependency modal, you can add and remove tasks.
Add the Dependencies column to List view
You can also display Dependency Relationships as a column in List view.
Click the + icon in the top right corner.
Select Dependencies from the menu.
The Dependencies column will display any waiting on or blocking tasks.
Add tasks in the Dependencies column
Once you've added the dependencies column to a List view, you can create dependencies.
To add waiting on and blocking tasks:
- Click the Dependencies field on a task.
- Select Waiting on or Blocking.
- Search or browse for another task.
Unlink tasks from the Dependencies column
Once you've added the dependencies column to a List view, you can unlink dependencies.
To unlink dependent tasks:
- Click on the Dependencies field on a task.
- Hover over an existing waiting on or blocking task.
- Click the x on the right.
See dependencies in Gantt view
You can view dependencies in Gantt view.
Dependency Relationships are displayed as arrows connecting tasks. The direction of the arrow represents the type of dependency.
For example, task A is blocking task B. The arrow will start at task A and end at task B.
Create dependencies in Gantt view
You can create dependencies in Gantt view.
To create a dependency between two tasks:
- Open a Gantt view.
- Hover over a task to reveal the connector icon.
- Click the connector icon at the start or end of a task.
- Drag the line to the start or end of another task.
- Release the mouse button to create the dependency.
To remove a dependency between tasks, double-click the line between tasks.